Get a multi-use pressure cooker
A multi-use pressure cooker, such as an Instant Pot, is one small appliance that can be used for a number of functions, from sautéing, to slow cooking, and pressure cooking.
- Pre-freeze meals and cook from frozen
- Stack items to cook multiple things at once
- Pop popcorn (healthier than the microwave version, and less energy than the stove)
- One pot meals
- Convert all your favourite recipes to the instant pot
Our favourite recipe: Instant pot spaghetti Bolognese
Use a toaster oven
Toaster ovens can function exactly like a regular oven, while using less energy
- Baked eggs in individual ramekins
- Put the rack up to and the tray below to cook two things at once
- Cook bacon on a tray in the oven
- 6 cup muffin trays are your friend – they fit perfectly in a toaster oven for muffins, cupcakes, or even mini frittatas
Try a microwave
We know that microwaves are quick, but don’t always think of them as a way to make tasty food, but less energy doesn’t have to mean less taste.
- Corn on the cob
- Every kind of egg – hardboiled, scrambled, even poached!
- Dessert in a mug – individual serving sizes, save time and energy
- Microwaving lemons or limes for a few seconds make them easier to juice
- Microwaving garlic makes for easy peeling
Our favourite recipe: Microwave chocolate mug cake